- Facts on Undernutrition
- Identify Undernutrition Using 'MUST'
- Identify Undernutrition Using 'MUST' Self Calculator
- Determine Height If Unable To Stand
- Monitoring Changes In Weight Using Mid Upper Arm Circumference
- Food As Treatment For Undernutrition
- Special Diets And Weight Gain
- Nutritional Supplements
Malnutrition is a state of nutrition in which a deficiency, excess or imbalance of energy, protein and other nutrients causes measurable adverse effects on tissue and body form (body shape, size, composition), body function and clinical outcomes (Elia 2003).
Focus on Undernutrition concentrates on trying to overcome the deficiency of energy and protein ,that is why we use the term undernutrition rather than malnutrition.
It is essential that people at risk of undernutrition are identified and provided with appropriate and timely treatment.
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust has an agreed care pathway for the identification and treatment of undernutrition in the community and care pathway for the prescribing of oral nutritional supplements for adults in County Durham and Darlington